Monday, June 06, 2005

Summertime and livin' aint easy. . . .

Summer is here in NYC. The Solstice hasn’t happened yet, but the heat has finally hit. This weekend, with its temperatures in the upper 80’s, banished any memories of the arctic winter we had. While I am not ready for the sweat and humidity that comes from summer, I am thankful for one thing: Pretty women wearing less and less. That is one of the few things that I really like about New York City. Now I know this can spark an argument about which city’s women are the sexiest (and I know that MCG would say that the woman of Florida are the hottest), but NYC’s girl just kick ass. And they will kick your city’s girls’ asses, no doubt!

But am I in a place to enjoy said New York women? Of course not. Sure I feel spring and summer’s hormones raging through me, but I have the stress and hassle of a move coming up. And last week’s post about Sirius Satellite Radio’s ad really had nothing to do with any frustration. Now if you read in a couple of weeks that I end up hooking up with the pretty girl in my office that wears too much make-up, then you’ll know the frustration has gotten to me. Those who know me know that I hate fake chicks like that. (And that girl in the office really is prettier when she doesn’t wear make-up.)

I searched for apartments most of the weekend, with visiting a few on Sunday. Throw in with that a little worry about the work I need done on my car, along with figuring out how I will pay for it all and Spider’s in no place to be chasing women. Grr!! At least I still have July and August coming up.

So the focus about this post isn’t about women. It isn’t even about the total lack of my sex life right now, which really isn’t different from the year after college. Come to think of it, it really isn’t any different than a couple of the years during college. The only difference is that I don’t have my Mom sending me condoms now. Yes, my Mom sent me condoms while I was at college. Actually, in one shipment she sent 144 of them (12 boxes of 12). I said, “Mom!! Who do you think I’m having sex with?!” And she replies, “Well, it can be like a wish-list kind of thing.” Don’t you wish you had a Mom like that?

You see, I was looking for love and not sex back then, unlike so many of the guys on my hall. I was this romantic that felt that I needed to know that the girl loved me, and I loved her before having some full physical fun. There was even one night where this beautiful girl, in my room and on my bed, told me to prove to her that I didn’t suck, but licked as I so often said. (As in, “Spider, you suck!” “Um no, I lick. If I sucked, then I would be a theatre major.” (For those who don’t know, 8 out of 10 male theatre majors at my school at the time were gay.)) Sorry to say folks that I didn’t rise to the occasion there. And yes, I know how bad a pun that was! I blew her off with some remark about being “careful about what you wish for you may regret it”, or something stupid like that, because there was something deeper going on inside of me I was trying to hide. . . the fact that I had fallen for her.

She and I were talking a few months ago. And she asked me why I didn’t “prove it” that night. I told her the truth; that I had wanted her heart more than I wanted what was between her legs. And I wanted her heart before I got into her pants. . .not that what’s in her pants wouldn’t have been nice and all. I guess I am still the romantic I was then because I still want her heart first before I get into her pants, and I told her that. Perhaps that is why she introduced me to one of her friends as a "hopeless romantic." (I should have countered that, saying to them, "I had to be if I was in love with her.") However, even that isn’t the point of this post! (And that is a story for another day. Preferably when I have had some wine. Ok, a lot of wine! Oh, and the next time a woman is in my bed telling me to "prove it," I'm not going to be an idiot. She'll get a proof darnit, even if it's for the Pythagorean Theorem!)


Then what the hell is this post about, Spider? Well, it about recognizing the changes of the seasons of our lives; something for which I am usually never prepared, particularly summer. And this happens to me every year.

Do you think I have enough t-shirts in good condition to wear? Of course, not. I’m lucky I still have the “man-dals” from last year. It was a hassle to get those in August. You’d think they’d still have summer stuff available in August, but NOOO they’re already selling stuff for the fall. But I don’t need stuff for the fall in August. Have you ever tried to by cold weather stuff in March? Can’t get it because they’re selling stuff for spring, even though its still balls cold outside! So I guess I am always a few months late.

And am I prepared for the stress of the weeks between here and until July 2nd? I’m getting there. I really am not looking forward to packing nor living on an austerity budget. Though, if things can swing the way I hope they will I will be in North Carolina for the week of July 4th. Boy, will I need that! I can see my sister and reconnect with some friends that I haven’t seen in a long time. And I’ll try to see my friend with whom I share my birthday. Though, her work in the theatre keeps her busy. Hopefully, I will also get some pool time in there. This is one white boy who needs some color!

Yeah, I think by the end of August I’ll be ready for summer. But by then, everyone else will be heading into the fall. Maybe by fall next year, I’ll be caught up to everyone. Either that or I might end up ahead of y’all and be wearing my Easter outfit at Christmas. That's alight because the women of New York City will still be kicking ass then as well.

1 Comments:

At 1:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,
I don't want to hear of anyone complaining about the heat. Try 120 degrees in the shade! With the helmet and body armor you tried on at Christmas. I'll be lucky if it made it to 80 degrees at nightime but then it would be considered freezing.(go figure?) But, on a differant note I know I offerd to help you move to NC, being that you turned me down for that one. I can help you out with something else (like your car) if your willing to accept help from your younger sister. Remember, I may not always be in a position to help you out. So when I am take advantage of it, because I know when the tables are turned and I know someday in this crazy life they will be. I'll be calling on you for help. I love you and miss you very much! (God, I can't wait to come home) Why anyone would choose to live in this HOT ass country is beyond me! Like Robin Williams said in Good Morning Veitnam: "its HOT damn, HOT!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home