Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Burning the Candles at Both Ends Again

So this weekend my best friend with whom I share my birthday came up to visit me and see NYC for the first time. If you read my post regarding the trip I took to NC for my birthday you probably guessed that my friend and I stayed up late, drank quite a bit, and had lots of fun. You can probably also guess that I am extremely tired right now. My friend is nocturnal so we’d stay up to 4 AM. She’d sleep until noon or one, but I’d be up by 8 because that is what my body is accustomed. And this morning I got up before God to help her on her way out of NYC. So here I am at work, zombiefied and simultaneously inspired and fried.

Here are thoughts about this weekend in no particular order. Like after my birthday weekend, I am having problems with linear thought.

1) Had that “I’m Home” feeling for a fleeting moment again like I did my birthday weekend. I wish it would stick around longer than it does.

2) The reaction my friend’s face as we went around NYC was priceless. We got to Times Square around 11PM on Friday night. She was holding my hand as we walked down from 59th Street. You know, nervous tourist in the biggest city of the world. We walked down Broadway and passed the Ed Sullivan Theatre so she can see where The Late Show with David Letterman is taped. (She would come to sneak into my room in college to drink Earl Grey tea and watch David Letterman. Girls had to be out of guys rooms at midnight during the week.) And then we hit Times Square and her face was like a little kid’s, wide-eyed and in amazement.

3) I really wish my friend and I’s sleep schedules were on the same page. I am HURTING today. The thing is that she has the schedule that I would love to have. My family (Mom, Dad, and sisters) are all night people. We didn’t believe in morning. We heard that some other people experienced, but we were convinced that they were hallucinating. Personally, if I could go to bed at 4 in morning and wake up around noon I would be such a happy camper. What job can I get that’ll let me do that? Is there such thing as a professional blogger?

4) BUTCH WALKER ROCKS!!! Another reason for my friend’s visit was that her favorite singer/songwriter was performing here on Long Island. My friend had shared his music with me when I visited her back in April, and I went out and bought his latest cd to know some of the music well before going to the show. Needless to say I was blown away with his songwriting, showmanship and his ability to connect with the crowd. I have seen few performers work the crowd like he did. I highly recommend catching him if you can. He is opening for Avril Lavigne this summer. I don’t know if this would be the best venue for your first Butch show as seeing him by himself would mean a longer set.

5) My friend and I met up with Steve, his wife, and Lil’ Steve before we went to the show. We got some ice cream and then went to a playground. My friend talked with Steve’s wife (She met them when I graduated) and I talked with Steve as we played with Lil’ Steve on the playground things. (Don’t know what you call those things that has a slide, things and stuff.) Can I tell you how much fun I had?! I want to record the laughs and yips I got out of Lil’ Steve as we had him on the swing. That is instant happiness. I put it on a sound device to carry around with me and whenever I need a little boost, just hit the button and hear him laugh.

6) When told that we were going to the Empire State Building, my friend’s father said “Don’t jump and watch out for apes!” I thought that was rather funny.

7) I learned this weekend that me and tequila shots do not mix. And it is not that I got sickly drunk, which I know most of you are thinking. It has to do with the whole salt and lime thing. I don’t like salt, and I am not a big fan of tart. The tequila went down fine. I just don’t like for make the face pucker with the other things. I think I’ll stick with Guinness. My Irish blood enjoys that so much more.

8) Sometimes, some dreams, no matter how inspiring, how beautiful, . . . .well, may be worth holding onto a little longer.

9) When hugging a loved one good-bye, always let them let go first.

1 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, there are some jobs (cough-designer-cough) that allow you to get to work at noon-ish and surf the web, but it's really not all it's cracked up to be. Especially when all the good concerts start before you get off work. Why don't you just become a rock-star and make your own hours?

Or, get a job blogging:

http://www.recruiting.com/blogger_jobs/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home