Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Boom Today, + The Power of Piglet

Last night I get home after going to the gym and stopping by the old apartment. It’s late and I need to do some cleaning. The evening was fairly uneventful until my roommate comes home. I have to come up with a name for her. And I can’t use the “Friends” theme as I did with Joey since she is black and actually way cooler that Phoebe, Monica or Rachel. I am trying to think of a name, but is there a black, lesbian actress from Compton on TV? I didn’t think so. Oh well.

So she comes home close to 11PM and proceeds to tell me of a conversation she had with the landlord earlier in the day. He said that he is still expecting to get $2100 for the apartment What the fuck is he thinking!! First off, that apartment, even with all three bedrooms in use, is NOT worth $2100. I just did a search on a apartment listing for Astoria, Queens and three bedrooms can go for $1700-2200 a month. But those that are $2000 are really nice and renovated. And I’ll be they don’t have thin walls and floors with hellions that wake up and play soccer at 7AM.

I told my roommate that even if the landlord raises our rent to $600, and our third roommate comes back from being on tour with the Full Monty and if they clear out the stuff they put in his room, he will be getting $1800 a month, which is within the market for Astoria. If not, then he’ll get $1200 for the two bedroom. Which again, is in the range for 2 bedroom apartments in Astoria. Yes, the lower end.

My roommate and I are in the same boat, we don’t have the money to be able $700, nor do we have the money to move just yet. (Actually, I will by the end of May with the extra paycheck I’ll get and money from my tax returns. But I really was looking forward to banking some of that and making extra payments on my debts.) And I don’t think we could convince someone to live in the living room or take over our rooms if we move once they find out about the kids upstairs. Hell, I wouldn’t have moved in there if I had know that was going to be the case.

So things are up in the air until we can really sit down and talk with the landlord and his wife. And that may not occur until May when that third roommate comes back from tour. I fucking hate this. I don’t need, nor want, to move again right now. I was looking forward to staying in one place, paying off some debts and making my next move one that puts me square on my Path.

Grrr. . …!

On a fun positive note, I had a fun experience this morning. So I drive a Chevy Metro. It’s not the most manliest of cars, but it is perfect for city driving. It’s small and I get great gas mileage. Another benefit is that I can park almost anywhere. Case in point happened this morning as I saw a big ass SUV try to fit into a spot that I knew he wasn’t going to fit. He gets frustrated and drives away. Good for me because Piglet fit right in! Fuck You SUV and your gas guzzling self!!! (Oh yeah, “Piglet” is what I named my Metro. If you can correctly guess why I named it that, and I give a hint, I’ll buy you a drink. It’s a book reference, but not a Pooh Corner one. Those who I’ve already told are already out of the contest.)

P.S. Sorry for the cussing. Just a little ticked off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home