Friday, April 15, 2005

It's Time To Bloom

So this week was another awesome horoscope from www.FreewillAstrology.com . And again, I want to pause and look at my life through the lense of Rob Breszny's words. Particularly, the last three sentences.

Aries Horoscope for week of April 14, 2005

I think you're ready for your once-a-decade reminder from Anais Nin about the hazards of not growing. I first brought her pithy quote to the attention of the Aries tribe back in 1993. It had a salubrious effect on many of you, dissolving some of your crystallized fears and speeding up your evolution. Let's hope it works the same magic this time: "The day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." (P.S. Think back to where you were in 1993. It's time for you to leap to the next level as you resume working on a long-term project you began back then.)


People most often change when the pain of not changing becomes more painful than the pain of making the change. Again, pain is a storing motivator that pleasure. And we will ofthen make a choice between two pains rather than one between pain and pleasure. (See Anthony Robbins work) So what in my life am I keeping in a bud that it's becoming more painful to keep in than to let out?

And I have to answer with. . .my music, the songs and stories I hear in my head on a daily basis. The las few bands I was in my songwriting input took a backseat to the leadsinger's. I helped on arraging, guitar solos and backing vocals. In my band in NC, Nandina, we were just getting to the point were we were writing collaboratively, but we broke up before we could create much. And in my morst recent band, the lead singer was such a control freak that I couldn't stand it.

So it is time for me to step up in front of the mic, to sing my songs, or at least songs I've co-written. And this is that long term project I started in 1993, the year I graduated high school and entered college. I started writing songs in high school with the dreams of releasing albums of my own. Now I know this is the year to do it.

And I think that I have already started on this. I have been practicing my guitar a lot more, which I am finding exhilirating. I am finding that I am learning some music faster now than ever before. (Example: the insane guitar work of Joe Satriani) Also, I have come up with some great song ideas. Though I need to devote more time to songwriting.

There are two areas I know that I need to work on a lot more, my singing and getting back on stage. The first I've been putting off because of the chaos of the move and getting settled in my life. The only thing holding me back now is this "cold" I have had for two weeks. (Went to the doctor's yesterday. He said it's allergies. Go figure! Allegra and Flonase later, and I'm feeling so much better.) As soon as it's gone, vocal scales here I come! And as soon as I feel a little more comfortable with my voice I'll start hitting the open mic nights around NYC. There is one going on just about every night. Hopefully, I'll figure out how to post songs up here soon so you all can here them.

One more thing regarding the horoscope. There was another project I started in 1993. That was recovering from codependency. And I made great strides during my college years. Though, I think I forgot much of what I learned in the past few years. But there's a song by Don Henley that has a line that says it all. "All the thing I thought I knew, I'm learning again." And I feel that. . .and see that in my writings on the blog.

Well, I am off to go practice. I have some music to create.

Namaste

2 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger Spider said...

Mary Sunshine,

Thank you for tip there. I do know that acting lessons help in the stage performances of musicians. And if you were in NYC I'd take you up on them right now.

Perhaps Norleans is the city I need to move to next. I can taking acting lessons from you and your friend. Jazz lessons from your Dad. And I can be an assistant for your husband in his studio when he needs one. Just got to work out the whole income and a place to live thing. lol

Seriously, thank you for your words, support and love, Mary Sunshine. It means so much.

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear that you are going to spend more time in front of the mic now. I always loved to hear you sing. Which was one of the reasons that "Lights" is my favorite Nandina song.

If you record any new vocals you had best send it to me or I'm going to be a very sad Spider fan. ;-; <-- My sad face

~Eliza

 

Post a Comment

<< Home