Thursday, April 21, 2005

Why Geeks and Nerds Are Worth It

So I was wasting time the other day (I do that so well) and I was reading the new posts at Best of Craigslist and came across a post with the same title as above. I was excited because we all know that I consider myself a big time geek (see this post). This woman has it it so right. I wish I knew her name so I can give her proper credit, and thank her, but she didn't leave it. You can find the original post here. I copied it here and included my thoughts and comments. Enjoy


Why Geeks and Nerds Are Worth It...


Date: Sun Apr 03 21:30:08 2005

In the wide world of dating, there are many options. Do you go for the flashy guy with the smooth smile, or the dude in the corner typing away on his laptop? The following are reasons why I think my fellow females should pay more attention to the quiet geeks and nerds, and less attention to the flashy boys.

1.) While geeks and nerds may be awkward, they’re well-meaning 9 out of 10 times. That smooth dude with the sly grin and the spider hands? Wonder what HIS intentions are... plus, I’ve never had a geek guy not call me when he said he would. Score major points THERE.

- Damn straight. Us geeks are always well-meaning. We’ve spent a lifetime not fitting in, why would we want to push you away if you’re interested in us by doing stupid insensitive things. And while our intentions on one level are like the smooth dudes, we want other things from you than just sex.


2.) They’re useful. In this tech-savvy world, it’s great to have a b/f who can make your laptop, desktop, and just about anything else that plugs into a wall behave itself.

-Yep, give me something electronic and I can make it work for you.

3.) They’re more romantic than they’re given credit for. Ok true, their idea of romance might be to make up a spiffy web-page with all the reasons why they love you, with links to pics of you and sonnets and such... but hey. It lasts longer than flowers, plus you can show your friends.

-Or if you’re a music geek like me, you write and record a song for her.

4.) Due to their neglected status, there are plenty to choose from. You like ‘em tall and slender? There are plenty of geeks/nerds who are. You like ‘em smaller with more meat on their bones? Got that too.

- Yep, we got all kinds. Even good looking, slim musician geeks like me. (Ladies, if you want, I’ll email a photo. ;-) -Just Kidding

5.) They’ve got brains. Come on now, how can intelligence be a bad thing?

-Yeah, that's obvious.


6.) Most are quite good at remembering dates. Like birthdates and such, especially if they know it’ll make you happy. Due again to their neglected status, they’re more attentive than guys who “have more options”. Plus, with all that down time without a steady girlfriend, they’ll likely have mental lists of all the things they’d love to do once they GOT a girlfriend.


- Ok, this is the one thing I fail on. I am bad at dates. I am lucky I remember my mom’s, my sisters’, my dad’s and my friends’ birthdays. However, I do remember my girlfriend’s birthdays. While I won’t remember the anniversary of our first kiss, first hug, first time we said “I love you”. . .I will remember stuff about you, your likes, every name of the members of your family. And there are plenty of things I'd love to do. I have a list a mile long.


7.) Sex. Yep. Sex. I’m not really familiar with this myself, but I’ve friends who’ve been intimate with geek guys and it’s raves all around. They say a virgin wrote the Kama Sutra... all that time thinking about sex, imagining sex, dreaming about sex, (they are male after all) coupled with a desire to make you happy? Use your imagination.

-If I studied my ass off and speed read through every subject matter, why wouldn’t I do it on this topic!?! There are things I know how to do that when I shared with my friends their reply was on the level of “Woah, is that even physically possible?” I mean, you remember that girl from American Pie. . ."And this one time at band camp. . . " Yeah, that's how it is with pretty much all us geeks.

8.) They’re relatively low-maintenance. Most can be fueled on pizza, Twinkies and Mt Dew. No complicated dinners needed here, so if you’re not the best cook, eh. Can you order a pizza?

-I lived on Mt. Dew during college and a few years after. My good friend still does. Ladies, don’t worry if you can’t cook. I got that covered.

9.) Most frequent bars as often as slugs frequent salt mines. You won’t have to worry much about your geek guy getting his “groove” on with club hotties because, frankly, he’ll be too busy rooting around under his computer wondering where that spare cable went. You won’t have to worry about him flirting with other women because, 9 out of 10 times, he’ll zip right by them in a perfect b-line towards the nearest electronics store. I’ve seen this happen.

Me: “Eww. Victoria Secret’s Models... They’re so skinny. How is that feminine? You can see her ribs!”

Geek Guy: “ooooooo...”

Me: “Hey!” *notices he is staring lustfully towards the computer store*

Geek Guy: “What?”

Me: “Never mind...”

-Yeah, this has happened to me, though more often with music stores. Ok, who am I kidding! I love Radio Shack! I even “out-geek” the sales people there. I know, it’s sad. If I’m going to bars it’s to hear the band. So you don’t have to worry about me picking up “club hotties.”

10.) Although he may not want to go to every outing with you, you can arrange swaps, as in, you’ll go to his Gamer Con dressed as an elf princess if he’ll take you to the ballet. Plus, if he doesn’t want to go someplace with you, you won’t have to worry much about what he’s up to. You’ll probably come home to find him asleep on his keyboard in a sea of Mt. Dew cans with code blinking from the screen. It’s ok. He’s used to this. Just toss a blanket over him and turn out the light.

-If any woman put on elf ears or Vulcan ears for me, she’d get a marriage proposal right there! And yes, you don’t have to worry about what I’m up. You’ll come home to find me passed out among my guitars and computer. Take the guitar out of my hand and bring me to bed.

11.) His friends aren’t jerks. I can’t stress this enough. You’ll more likely get “Omg! A GIRL!! Can I see?!” than “Hey hot stuff back that ass up here and let me get some grub on...” They’re awkward geeks too and will, 9 times out of 10, treat you with the utmost respect and, more than likely, a note of awe. A cute girl picked one of their clan to date? It could happen to them! Hope! Drag some of your single girlfriends over, open up a pack of Mt. Dew, crack open the DnD set and get working. Nothing impresses geek guys more than a girl who can hack-n-slash (well ok maybe if she can code... a geek can dream).


- Yeah, my friends are awesome. And since they’re my friends, they will treat you with said respect. And like above, if you wanted to play D & D I would be so impressed. (Not saying that I play that on a regular basis. . . )


12.) They’re rarely if ever possessive. They trust you, so you can be yourself around them. You like to walk around the house in a ratty t-shirt for comfort? He won’t care. He does too! They won’t get pissy if you don’t wear make-up or don’t want to bother primping your hair. If you gain a few pounds, they won’t try their best to make you feel like crap.


- Hey, if you are accepting me as the geek I am, then I of course are accepting you as the wonderful woman you are. You are you, there is no one in the world like you and you don’t have to worry about me not loving you based on what you wear or what you weigh, or anything shallow like that.


13.) They’re usually very well educated. Physics majors and the like. See #5. You won’t have to listen to him blathering on about his car (ok maybe a little), he’ll have loads of other interesting things to talk about. Politics, world events, how much the chicken burgers down at the local place rock, so long as you douse them in hot sauce...

-Yeah, you’ll have to shut me up about some topics. But I’ll talk about anything and everything.

14.) You’ll almost never have to hear, “Yaw dawg whazzap!!” plop out of their mouths. Unless it’s in jest. They spell properly, use correct punctuation, and are able to tell the difference between the toilet and the floor. They almost never get “wasted”, so you won’t have to worry about coming home to find him and his friends passed out on the floor amidst a pile of beer bottles. Mt. Dew cans, perhaps...


- Um, this woman keeps forgetting that Mt. Dew has the highest caffeine levels of the soft drinks, next to Jolt. (Yeah, I already know that I am geek for knowing that.) If I have a number of cans of Mt. Dew, I am not going to sleep! But yes, every else applies.

15.) And the final reason why geeks and nerds make great boyfriends: They actually give a damn about you. Not how you look (though that’s a plus), not how skinny you are, not how much make-up you primp yourself up with, but they like you for you. That kind of thing lasts longer than “DAMN baby you got a fine ass!!!” Believe me.

-Like I said on #12, it’s about Who You Really Are. . .on the inside. Because we know that you’re not staying with us for our flash or pizzazz. If you’re with a geek or a nerd, you know the soul inside them and want that person to know the soul inside of you. So ladies, do yourself a favor and take this woman’s advice!

8 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crack me up! You have the best posts, you don't sound like a geek to me, what kind of music do you play? ~Leluangel

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Stephanie Giannetti said...

Ok, to the first person who commented: Yes, Spider really is a geek! It's why I enjoy being a [new] friend of his.

Now to Spider: I love your commentary. You are your own publicist, and you are quite good at it! LOL

I was one of the popular girls in high school and college, so I've dated all sorts of guys and I have to say: geeks rule! Once I started dating geeks I never looked back. Honestly. This woman is right on the money. She wrote something that I wish I had written! She certainly shares my thoughts and opinions.

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger Robin M said...

awesome post, spider. i admit, i have a hard time reading longer posts, but yours are worth it! i'm with this woman on the geek thing. although, who decides who is geeky and who is not? ;)
also, thanks for the very sweet comment on my latest post. i appreciate that.

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the others here have said, this woman who wrote the post is on to something so simple, so obvious, it makes me wonder why it's so hard to see. I think there are two types of each gender. There are geeks and nerds, and there are the rest of the male gender. Likewise, there are strong, intelligent, beautiful women with good heads on their shoulders who desperately want the chance to simply love and be loved(and no i'm not referring to sex here, though it can be a wonderful expression thereof,) and then there are the trashy,immature floozies who are more interested in themselves than quality of life. At the risk of tooting my own horn, I'd put myself in the first category and say, it's lonely waiting for Fate to match me with "my Geek" but it's worth the wait...having dated a few of the other guys, posing as nice guys,*shudder* not worth it at all. So here I toast the wise woman who wrote the post, nerds and geeks alike as described by said author, and Spider, for being one of them.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger mcgibfried said...

great read.. this gal seems pretty enamoured with us geeks.

she is right on about how we find nothing hotter than a woman that can code. i think 75% of angelina jolie's success stems from her hacker role in HACKERS.

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh sigh- my nerd hath not the faintest clue that i am trying to hit on him. perhaps you could write a "how geeks and nerds like to be hit on" post? it would be most helpful. ;)
and spider, you're a geek who will always hold a most special place in my heart! ~abby.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Spider said...

Abby,

That's the problem. Most geeks and nerds are clueless to the sublte hints from women. Heck, most don't get the not so subtle hints. I was totally clueless when girls where hitting on me at Greensboro College. Looking back, I could have had SOOOO many more dates!

So until your nerd watches the movie "Swingers" and reads "Men are from Mars, Woman are from Venus", be brave and be blunt.

Example:

You: "Um, Nerd?"

Nerd: "Yes?" as he looks up from the geeky thing he is doing.

You: "You. Me. Bed. Right Now."

Nerd: (a little stunned) "but what about the code I was typing. . ."

You: "You. Me. Bed. Right Now."

Nerd: "Ah. . .Um. . ."

You: Taking his hand, "You. Me. Bed. Right Now!"

Nerd: "Ok!"

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Posts like yours and the craigslist lady are great, I just fear that all this outpouring of geek love will result in the inevitable backlash against geeks.
Of course, since geeks got picked on most of their young lives, can it really be considered a backlash or a just continuation of youth?

Sorry, no point to this. Just felt a need to respond.

Must be all the Mountain Dew.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home