Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Questions for The Geek Test

So my soon-to-be brother-in-law, (ok, it's a year away but I like saying that instead of "my sister's fiance"), challenged me to a "Geek Test" on the rival networking site to Myspace, Facebook. It was a hundred question test with a variety of topics from computers, to science, to gaming, and such. Want to know my score?


Your Score:

99
You are geekier than:
100% of your Friends
99% of everyone on Facebook


Really?! Did this come as a surprise to any of you who know me or have been regular readers of my blog?!

The "100% of you Friends" means the 100+ friends I have on Facebook. But I am sure that is close to a real life percentage as well. I remember one night back in 2001 or 2002 as we were over Max Diablo's apartment as the "Nerd Herd" was there to watch Angel and Buffy The Vampire Slayer, my friend Brown starts talking about using hexidecimal math (Base 12) at work. I then start talking to him as if hexidecimal math was like a 2nd language to me; which it can be as I do have a degree in mathematics. He looks at me and said something to the effect of, "Holy shit, Spider!! I thought I was a major geek but you outgeek me by far!!"

So my soon-to-be brother-in-law writes to me, after I share my score with him, "It appears you have taken me to the cleaners. . . I thoroughly enjoyed the last question of, " Did you spend time thinking of other questions that would make this quiz better". (or something like that) That made me hang my head."

I wrote back to him that I did think of more questions, and here they are. How many can you answer yes to? (He only got 7)

1. Do you have a t-shirt or any paraphernalia, with the number 42 on it?

2. Have you ever bought clothing proclaiming your geekness?

3. Have you ever bought geek related clothing for your significant other?

4. Can you explain why the Empire would kick the shit out of the Federation?

5. Have you ever dreamed of being a Borg?

6. Can you explain Shroedinger's Cat?

7. Can you explain Occam's Razor?

8. Can you explain why the use of Occam's Razor at the end of the movie Contact was incorrect and you're pissed that Jodie Foster's character didn't point it out?

9. Can you explain the significance of knowing the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

10. Can explain the theory of Relativity beyond just defining E=mc^2?

11. Do you own a poster of Einstein or a book of quotes from him?

12. Have you ever taking the time to prove why calculus?

13. Have you taken more that two calculus classes and not failed them?

14. Do you sometimes gaze off into the distance because you are pondering math problems?

15. Would the topic of your thesis paper be lost on more than 85% of the population?

16. Have you ever not gotten laid because of your geekness?

17. Have you ever thought you were better than a nerd, but still felt some empathy because you understood them?

18. Have you ever posted 2 or more blog posts on your blog about being a geek? (Tales of A Pocket Spider readers know that I have!)

19. Do you know why you would need 1.21 gigawatts and why because of modern physics it really wouldn't matter?

20. Have you ever used math or physics to win a legal dispute?

21. Have you ever thought you could audition for "Beauty and The Geek"?

22. Has the song "The Geek Gets The Girl" by American HiFi ever applied to you?

22. Have you come up with 20 or more questions to add to the geek test?



How did you do? I'm sure I can come up with more questions. And I know that if you do a Google search you can find more in depth Geek Tests. I one time took a 500 question geek test. Yeah, I scored astromonically high on that one too. I guess my saving grace, and why I wasn't a member of Lambda Lambda Lambda in college, is that I score extremely low on any Purity Test that I take. (Those test answers are only given out when plied with copious amounts of alcohol!)

How did my future B.I.L score on the geek test? "I guess I will have to be content with being the number two geek of my friends. Congrats on the 99% of Facebook, I think I was around 75%. " At least he'll be in good company when he marries my sister!

1 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Blogger each of the two said...

Uhhhh, what?

I feel i am sorely at the wrong party.

I scored a 2 on your test.

1, cause who doesnt love Star Wars (my Dad is a geek)
and i dont think 2 counts as I might be convinced to audition for Beauty and the Geek, but not as a Geek and I am far to smart to be a Beauty. So I think that is nixed and I am back at a 1

(though I think the cat one has something to do with a dead cat in a box...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home