Wednesday, December 21, 2005

“She’s One Step Away”

Today’s post is dedicated to a new friend. She traveled cross country last week to start a new chapter in her life.


“Mary’s Standing in the doorway
A tattered suitcase in her hand
She is tired of always dodging
The cutting words thrown by her man

For seven long years she’s held the pain inside her
She’s hid it from her family and her friends
But she’s had enough of making up excuses
Today’s the day her new life begins
”-From “She’s One Step Away” by Roger Day

I’m not going to go into the details, that I do know, of her painful separation with her husband. (Painful separation, now there’s a redundancy of terms.) I will say that he drank a lot and was quite verbally abusive. And while I don’t know her that well, I do know that she didn’t deserve the treatment she got from him. Hell, no one deserves that. (From what I do know of her, I know that she is beautiful, intelligent, thoughtful and a darn awesome person in general.)

“She tried to keep the pieces together
She did her best to make things work out right
But every time she tried to talk about it
She got blamed for starting a fight

And she can’t tell you where she’s going
And she can’t tell you who she’ll be
But she won’t waste any time
Leaving him far behind
When she walks out the door her heart will be free”
- From “She’s One Step Away”

Alcohol and relationships don’t work. I saw the damage done in my own family. I see in that in the relationships of my friends. One friend’s experience inspired a song with the following lyrics.

“And he say’s while he’s drunk
He wishes we were lovers, And that I had let him inside years ago
But the next day when he’s sober
Only my dreams are left over, When he forgets he ever said so

I’m in love with someone so fantastic
They make life a new discovery
But he wanders no path to love
As I wait for his recovery”
– no song title yet, written by Jim O’Gara

I guess my new friend was tired of waiting for her husband’s recovery, which in truth may never happen. So she made a decision knowing that only she is in control of her own happiness, and for the safety of her son.

“She’s made up her mind
She won’t stop once she starts
She’s one step away
From a brand new heart”
– Chorus of “She’s One Step Away”

So I wish my new friend the best of luck and the continued strength to walk this new path. I know it won’t be an easy road. She may not know who or what she'll be next, but she will be free.

With this, I’ll end with two verses. One is the last Chorus of the song I wrote, and the other is the chorus of the song, “Never Enough” by Dream Theater. If you like the lyrics of these songs, please visit the sites of the artists and buy their music.

“I want to be in love with someone so fantastic
They make life a new discovery
I choose to walk a path to love
As I start my heart’s recovery”


“What would you say
If I walked away
Would you appreciate
But then it’d be too late
Because I can only take so much of your ungrateful ways
Everything is never enough”
–from “Never Enough” by Dream Theater

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home