Monday, November 21, 2005

"I Know We're Cool. . ."

So today I just wanted to say that I love my ex-girlfriend. We have hung out recently and I am really happy about how we have progressed as friends. A couple of weekends ago I was having a stressful time and she and I got together. I needed to talk with someone who knew me. Most of my closest friends were out of state.

She and I went out to dinner, stopping at the mall before hand, and then came back to my apartment for coffee. It was the first time she saw the new place. Actually, she didn’t get to see my old place, but we weren’t at that "place" yet. It was a great evening, we talked, we laughed and I felt better about things.

We’re actually able to joke about our relationship. For example, she did something mildly stupid and said, “$%&# Me!” (She cusses a bit. A New Yorker.) Then she looked at me and said, “Don’t you make joke about that!” I laughed because with any other girl my instant reply would have been, “Yes, please!” But we both laughed because I was like, “Um, didn’t we already do that?” On the otherhand I can joke about the "adoring women fans" at my gigs and she'd be like, "Ladies, I already had him and he ain't nothing special!" or something to that effect.

I think the part of the night that touched me was when she said that there was this Gwen Stefani song on the radio that she heard that made her think of me. I hadn’t heard it because I don’t listen to the radio. And I’m not really that big of a Gwen fan. (Which is semi-ironic for someone in a No Doubt tribute band.) The song is name “Cool” and it’s lyrics talk about old lovers who have moved on and become friends.

“And after all the obstacles
It's good to see you now with someone else
And it's such a miracle that you and me are still good friends
After all that we've been through
I know we're cool

We used to think it was impossible
Now you call me by my new last name
Memories seem like so long ago
Time always kills the pain”


I haven’t heard the music, but the words were enough to send their meaning.

Saturday night, we were at a friend’s apartment for an early Thanksgiving dinner. When it came time for coffee I said I’ll have tea, because of my throat, and that I brought some French Vanilla tea for myself. I also had extra Vanilla Chai tea to share with my ex-girlfriend. She laughed because she brought tea for me also, French Vanilla and Vanilla Caramel. Still on similar wavelengths.

Within ten minutes of hanging out with her I can see all the reasons we broke up. But with the distance of time I can appreciate all the good things that were there and still are. I can be thankful of my time with her and say that I love her. Not the kind of love that I want to get back together with her, but the kind that says I’m glad she’s my friend. I’ll probably not find another friend who will know me on the level that she does, so it’ll be wise to hang on to her. It feels good to be at this place.

1 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger Madame D said...

I like getting to that place, though I far more often am there, than in love, or feeling loved, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home