Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Snowbound, again.

Falling snow is pretty. It quiets the city and has a unique “tinkle” sound. As a musician it no wonder that I see the world in sound. And snow, no matter where I have encountered it, has that tinkle to it. That is the only time I think snow is pretty. Here in NYC it turns everything into a dirty slush so quickly. The streets are dirty and the slush makes it a nightmare to walk. Can you tell that I am anxiously awaiting spring?

So last night, because of the storm, I was snowbound. Stuck at home, by myself. I kept myself entertained by doing a weight-lighting workout, making spaghetti white clam sauce and practicing. But I really wanted to go out. Not that I have anywhere to go, or anyone to see, but I like walking through the neighborhood. I am not particularly fond of Astoria with is urban-ness. However, I sit in an office all day, with no window near my desk, so I don’t want to be stuck at home all night.

I sit here at my desk eating a pink grapefruit. I can’t tell you how much I am enjoying it. I love how the smell and taste of citrus conjures up the feelings of summer. Those days last month when it was10 degrees F, I would have a orange for breakfast. And for a brief moment I was on the beach in Florida. Ahhh, a warm sun on my face, less clothes on my body and no damn snow!

However, I have learned a lesson. Pink grapefruit does not go well with coffee.

My birthday is in 30 days. In North Carolina is usually was almost always warm and pleasant. The past two birthdays I have spent here in NY have been rather crappy weather wise. Doesn’t Mother Nature know that my birthday falls after the vernal equinox? Therefore, there should decent weather. I don’t mind wearing a sweater, but it needs to be pleasant.

Ok, I am done ranting about winter. C’mon spring!!

4 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Blogger Robin Alexa said...

Try having your birthday on January 4th. 10 days after Christmas and three days after New Year's Day...it's freezing, it's dark at 5 p.m., everybody has quit drinking, smoking, they are all on diets, they have no money, and they bought you a present last week so that should do for your birthday too. Fun times. :) I would love to have my birthday on March 31st! (that's my dad's birthday too)

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger Beth said...

remember when it snowed at our apt in g'boro? remember the little hill and steps up to the parking lot? i wanted to slide down it, but it was only 3 feet high. i have a photo of me spinning in that snow outside that apt.

why didn't we have a big mid-march blowout party? or at least some folks over to eat and play scrabble or trivial pursuit...
we were pretty boring roommates.

hey, levan and i were reminescing about ASP trips today. remember that "eat more possum" house? it had a wooden walkway that got icy and i busted my butt running out to get something from the van. that was the year josh got the fig newtons donated and kept trying to make us eat them. i sure hate fig newtons. oh, and that was the year of jenn, the asp worker. we went bowling.

ah, good times. i miss g'boro, such a lovely town, but i miss the folks in those memories more than the scenery.

take care, spider.

by the way, it snowed in atlanta today.
real snow.
with flakes and everything.
which made my christian thought class nearly unbearable, i was so giddy and fidgety and gleeful.
so it's probably not warm and sunny in g'boro either.
take heart.

rock on.

ooooh, i'll be up there in a couple weeks. we must get together for some meal or beverage!

this is more like an email than a comment.
ha!

adios, spider and friends.
i got snow in my hair today!

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Robin M said...

You should see how much snow we have here. It's ridiculous. I wonder what kind of flooding we'll get when it warms up... Bring on the spring! (only 3 more weeks - woot woot!)

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Robin M said...

Oh, by the way, I linked you on my blog. Hope that's okay with you. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home