Friday, August 08, 2008

Imagine This....

As I was looking for my birth certificate last night, I found my only copy of this poem/story/declaration that I wrote when I was 17. I thought I'd share it here so it'd last forever.


Imagine This...
by James O'Gara


Imagine this world was as beautiful,
As that flower about to bloom.
And that statement was true,
"The light and will always shine through."

But I know this world isn't that pretty,
And light and good are just figments,
In a young child's mind, young as a flower,
A flower in the middle of a deep thick forest.

Whose canopy, has for centuries, darkened the forest floor,
So that every little light from the sun reaches it.
There on the forest floor is where you'll find a place,
A place very similar to where my flower grew.

Sure it would have been nice to grow,
In those few well lighted places,
But most of the forest is in darkness,
Where the light and good don't shine through.

So the flower wilted for a time in the shade of the big trees,
Till it saw the other flowers blossoming and said,

"I WANT THAT!"

But deep in its heart of hearts,
It knew that it would never be in the light for a long time.

This made the flower sad and it wilted some more.
It wanted to bloom like the others, but no light shined upon it,
Till it said, "Let me make my own light then!"
So from deep within its roots a changed occurred.

Energy coursed through its petals,
And for the first time it blossomed.
The other flowers stared in awe.
They had never known any other light an good,
Except that which was given to them by the sun.

Now to see such light and good radiate,
From a flower in the darkness amazed them.
What surprised them more was that the flower,
Grew faster than all of them,
Because the light and good care from within.

It was stronger than any light and good that,
Could ever come through the canopy of the threes.
That light and good didn't shine through,
And probably never could have.
That flower had to create its own light and good to survive.

Just like a life that has begun to bloom,
It needs to create its own light and good,
To live, to see, to enjoy beauty.
All the life has to do is remember that light and good
Come within and just Imagine This...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home