Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Fahrvergnügen


Remember that supid ad campaign from Volkswagon over a decade ago? (You know you're getting old when you can use the phrase, "remember a decade ago?" in conversation.) You know, the
Fahrvergnügen campaign. It spawned countless bumper stickers like "Fukengruven" and "Farfrumpuken."

Fahrvergnügen means basically "driving pleasure" or "the joy of driving." I've rediscovered that feeling these past few weeks. You've read about the tribulations I went through with my old car Piglet. While Piglet, a Chevy Metro, was a great car (as I've written here), Piglet had been struggling for awhile, and had and accident back in December. (Which y'all remember. ) It was time to get a new car. The pressure started mounting as I knew I needed to get Piglet off the street before April 1st when the inspection expired.

This is where is helps to have a cousin in da biznezz. My cousin Anthony is the finance manager at one of the most popular Scion Dealerships in the country, Crysal Scion of Green Brook, NJ. A couple of phone calls, a couple of visits, and I drive away with a brand new Scion xA.





(Click on any picture to enlarge.)










I can't tell you how much this car ROCKS! It's as if someone built a car exactly for my needs and wants. The only change to it that I'll make is to tint the rear windows to hide my gear when I goto gigs.


















While very thankful for Piglet's service, and the fact that he was the perfect car for city driving, I missed a lot of the
Fahrvergnügen. I missed power steering, power windows, power locks. Piglet's AC died about 2 years ago and I wasn't in a place then to fix it so I did without. It is a joy to have those little things back in my driving experience.

Returning to the "you know your getting old" comment in the first paragraph. you knw you're getting old when you get excited that your car comes with side-curtain airbags. And it not for the reason of getting a discount on your car insurance, but because you know that you often carry precious cargo and you want the person riding shotgun to be as safe as she can be.

See you on the road!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home