Thursday, November 09, 2006

Post Election Day Thoughts

So a couple of days after Election Day and needless to say, I’m happy with the results. I’m hopeful that changes can start to happen. At the very least, some oversight of the rampant abuses of power by the Bush Administration. Not expecting miracles (ITMFA), but keeping my fingers crossed that some things happen.

That said, I have to thoughts/points I wish to write about regarding America’s Election Day.

While playing pool with my friend, who happens to be a conservative, Monday night we both agreed on this first point.

1. Why does the United States of America, a supposed 1st World country, have 3rd World country quality elections?!

Why can’t we have electronic machines that give a paper receipt? Why can’t we have unhackable machines? Why were there some places were people had to wait up to 4 hours to vote because there weren’t enough machines, even though there were in the primary elections? Why do we still have problems where we can’t what a person voted? Hanging chads?!! WTF!!

We can put men on the moon but we can get an election to work simply, accurately and fairly. That is just plain pathetic, America.


2. The conversation over how poorly our elections are run then moved to the thought of Hillary Clinton possibly running for president. Ok, I don’t want to talk about her here. I want to talk about the questions that came up from there.

Do you think we will see a women president before we see an African-American/Black president? What about Hispanic or Jewish?

Leave comments with your thoughts about those questions.

3 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we are more likely to see a black male president before we see a female president - in speaking to people they (not me) have an amazing number of prejudices against women being in power. I wouldn't want Hillary as president - even though I think she'd do the JOB well, she isn't super-diplomatic. I would vote for another woman who has the same guts as Hillary but a lot more diplomacy.

I think if OBAMA would run for president he would have a great chance of winning. Not only are his politics in the right place, not only would he be good at the JOB - he has that elegance and diplomacy that I think has been sorely lacking in that office since Clinton. (I know I know Clinton was also smarmy - but people loved him becaus ehe was charming and diplomatic.)

Love,
Ann

 
At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is an interesting question. and one that obviously (as ann touched on) depends on the person and what america wants. "the whole package" seems to be the best thing...ie smart, charasmatic, diplomatic, honest, good character, and over all the perfect representative of the USA. having said that....is there such thing. and isn't someone who is flawed a perfect example of the USA bc of all of her flaws..? but is she flawed bc of previous and continuing presidents/representatives...? these things can never be answered. there will never be one person or party that will please everyone or fix all of the problems.

i am not trying to be cynical...but just realistic. i woldn't vote for a woman bc i'm a woman nor someone of my race or religion just bc i was that way. but that's me. i think there are many people who would vote that way. i would vote for who i think would do the best job. unfortunately i think the world has a longer way to go before we vote based on credibility and the right person for the job. mostly people pick a few core issues and vote for who agrees with them. i'd actually like to see a campaign that doesn't involve vicious commercials. i think i'd vote for someone who just said "vote for me--i've done some things wrong and so has the other guy...but i beileve i can help this country and this is how i plan to do it....." i think hillary would have a good chance of winning bc people loved clinton so much...and bc most of the women might vote for her. i think obama has a good chance too...i'll be watching the campaigning...

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger foxxy007 said...

This is just what I needed to hear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home