Friday, August 04, 2006

"I Only Have Eyes For You"

Because of the mini-heat wave last week, (if you can call 100+ temperatures mini) I have spent just about every night at my girlfriend’s apartment in Hoboken because she as air-conditioning and I don’t. While I love her dearly for this kindheartedness, it had increased the time of my daily commute. She would drop me off at the Path Train in Hoboken, which I then took to 33rd St. in Manhattan. There I'd transfer to the W Train which dropped me of right by my office in Astoria.

Thursday, as I was on the Path Train reading, a couple came in and stopped by the pole in between the two doors. The young lady was absolutely beautiful, though she did have a big teeth smile. She was someone that I knew was one of those girls that got looked over in high school; maybe looked a little too goofy for the guys to ask out. However, probably somewhere around 20-22 she grew into her body and left all those loser guys in the dust.

The point of this post is not to rave about how pretty she was. I am not writing with the purpose of making my girlfriend jealous. What really was significant was how this young woman looked at her man. Through the entire ride you could tell that he was the only person that she saw. The fact that she was so in love with this guy was so apparent from the look in her eyes. And that was perhaps the most beautiful thing of all.

Maybe they were new lovers. Hopefully, they had been together for quite awhile.

There was someone, once, to whom I looked at like that. I was so enthralled by her and everyone could see it. Her own mother told me that she saw my love for her daughter the first time I visited her hometown. While out with this girl one day, a complete stranger had even told me, "I hope someday I find someone who looks as me like you look at her."

Everyone could see the depth of my love for her. Everyone except her. ("Unrequited love is never romantic.")

Returning this story to my Thursday commute, I took the NJ Transit 12:15AM bus back to my girlfriend's apartment. Two rows behind me sat this gorgeous girl, and her boyfriend. I noticed her unique beauty as she was walking through the bus. (Again, I am not writing this to make my girlfriend jealous. She notices pretty women as well.) There's this comedian sitting in the back row. As he exits the bus, he tells the couple, "You (the girl) are quite gorgeous. (Turning to the guy) Make sure you hold on to her!"

You could feel the smile on their faces from that compliment as guy responded, "I will."

While I am still the kid rockstar (as you can tell from pictures of my gigs and funny posts), I think I've grown up enough to recognize a good thing when I see it. There's someone in my life that looks at me like that woman on the train looked at her man; like I used to look at that girl who never saw me. I've grown up enough to know that love like that does not come often in one's life.

I've grown up enough not to need a stranger to remind me to hold onto the good thing that has come into my life.

1 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger Robin Alexa said...

889 days????? 889 days????

Do you know how much more chaos that man can cause in 889 days????

Yeah, sorry, you know, and I'm sure A LOT of your countrypeople know but sadly as with most DEMOCRACIES your hands are tied.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home