Monday, March 13, 2006

"My Name is, What? My Name is, What?. . . "

At work, there is a place to access various needed forms through our website. You enter your name and the required password for the different sections. At first, I entered in my username for our network which consists of my first initial and then my last name, which is the same as my work email address


However, I learned recently that employees who did not have email addresses are still able to access the forms. This got me thinking and experimenting. I type in “Jim O’Gara,” the password, and it works. I type in “James O’Gara,” the password, and it works. I type in “Spider O’Gara,” the password, and it works


Apparently, so long as one has the right password, any name will work. Believe me, I’ve tried! Here is a list, in no particular order, of the names I’ve used so far:


Scooby DooShaggyFred Flintstone
Barney RubbleGeorge JetsonSpacely Sprockets
Willy WonkaVeruca SaltAugustus Gloop
Rikki RocketC.C. DevilleNikki Sixx
Joe SatrianiEddie Van HalenSteve Vai
Valentine Michael SmithBilbo BagginsFrodo Baggins
Gandalf the GreySamwise GamgeeLegolas
Peter GabrielJames HetfieldOzzy Osbourne
Zakk WyldeTom DumontFrank Zappa
Albus DumbledoreSeverus SnapeHarry Potter
Hermione GrangerRubeus HagridAlex P. Keaton
Connor MacLeodDuncan MacLeodJuan Sanchez Rameriz Villa-Lobos
Punky BrewterYogi BearLeonardo DaVinci
Peter ParkerOtto OctavisJ. Jonah Jameson
Bruce WayneClark KentHal Leonard
Professor XLoganJean Grey
Stone Cold Steve AustinRic FlairThe Rock
Indiana JonesObi-wan KenobiLuke Skywalker
Jean Luc PicardJames T. KirkGeordi LaForge
DataQSpock
Ron JeremyChu ToiTurner D. Century
Ray O’LightRachel ProphilingEven Playenfeld

If you got all those characters, celebrities, and musicians, then you need a life!! Apparently, I do.

It is a good thing that some friends of mine, who work in the computer field, told me that a record of these names are kept on the company’s server somewhere before I tried “Heywood D’Jablomi.” Even though I know my entries are being recorded, why do I still enter in crazy names?


Simple, because I’m bored. And I know my company’s one IT guy is too busy with more important projects. Besides, if he ever questions why the great wizard Gandalf the Grey or Captain Jean Luc-Picard of the Starship Enterprise are downloading forms from my company’s website, then he will see that it is my computer that is the culprit. And he will laugh.


So I will continue to pretend to be Austin Powers or Anthony Robbins to alleviate both my boredom and the IT guy’s boredom. Perhaps I will even try Wang Chung tonight, just to have some fun tonight.


(C’mon, I know you’re singing that chorus now! “Everybody, have fun tonight/Everybody Wang Chung tonight.” Feel Free to give suggestions for names I should try in the future.)

2 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so I was going to try and think up some names to list here, but then I realized that TRUTH is better than fiction. I know you are aware that I work at a prestigious arts nonprofit in NYC. And I am in charge of our donor database. Well, to keep my staff's morale high, we keep a little list of ahem, odd, donor names that fly by our desk. These are really people's names. I shit thee not. Try logging these in Jim:

Nada Hyman
Pat Stumpp
Kwok Sum Fung
Prisanee Suwanwatana
Ronnie Sue Schub
Howie Slutz
Gil Schlactus
Alfred Prettyman
Mace Justice
Henry McHenry, Jr.
Brigitte Brief
Kazuko Rosenburg
King A. Bosworth
O.J. Hooker
Eduardo Pupo
Abba Tor
Joe Budnitsky
Pickward Bash, MD
Thomas McEvily
Tami Belcher
Alison Cheeseman
Ruth Dickler
John Titsworth
Fannie Finale

 
At 2:03 AM, Blogger Madame D said...

Okay, I am dorky to the max, because I recognized every single one of those names.
Time to go cry in shame now, I suppose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home